Effective Date: November 2023
This Privacy Notice explains how Careem Networks FZ LLC and/or its Affiliates (collectively “Careem Rides”, “we” or “us”) collects and uses Personal Data. Careem Rides offers its ride hailing services on an intermediation platform made available by Careem Deliveries FZ LLC (the “Careem Technologies” or “Careem Technologies Everything App” or “Careem Platform”). This Privacy Notice applies to all users of Careem Technologies mobile applications, websites, call-centre or technology when requesting Careem Rides services, and when ride hailing users interact or communicate with us in relation to Careem Rides Services (all collectively, the “Careem Rides Services”). Our privacy practices relating to Hala Users in the United Arab Emirates, Guest Users and Visitors are detailed in Sections 11 to 14.
When you download the Careem Technologies Everything App and/or Careem Captain Appto receive and provide transportation services, respectively, Careem Technologies will be the data controller for the Personal Data provided during the registration process, and other personal data you provide directly for your personal account in order to use the Careem Technologies Everything App and the services offered (“Account Data”).
When using the Careem Technologies Everything App, you may acquire one or more Services. If you want to use ride hailing services specifically, this service is offered by Careem Rides and your Account Data will be shared by Careem Technologies with Careem Rides that will act as a separate data controller. In addition, all data that is collected, processed and used as part of the ride hailing services will be controlled by Careem Rides.
This Privacy Notice relates solely to the data received, collected, processed and used as part of your registration and use of the ride hailing services provided via Careem Rides. All other data that is collected, processed and used for the services, except ride hailing, requested by you in the Careem Technologies Everything App will be controlled and processed by Careem Technologies and their Privacy notice can be accessed here for further details.
Careem Rides will share some of your data related to ride hailing services with Careem Technologies for the purposes described under Section 4., mainly to facilitate a unified experience across the different services on the Careem Platform, for which Careem Technologies will act as an independent controller.
For the purposes of collecting payments that are due from Users to Captains, Careem Technologies will act as a payment collection and disbursement agent for Careem Rides and the controller for the data it collects directly from you and/or receives from Careem Rides. Careem Technologies may also be required to process such data to comply with applicable laws and regulations, notwithstanding its role as payment collection and disbursement agent for Careem Rides. If you have any questions in relation to the use of such data, please contact Careem Technologies here.
1. Scope and Application
This Privacy Notice applies to all individuals anywhere in the world who access or use our Services. It specifically applies to:
Captains: individuals that provide (or submit the application to provide) transportation of people, whether individually or through partner transportation companies.
Riders: individuals that request or receive transportation, including those that receive transportation requested by another individual.
Across this Notice, we will be using some important definitions:
- Affiliates means: (i) any entity where Careem Networks FZ LLC, directly or indirectly, through one or more intermediaries, holds at least 50% of the equity, or 50% of the voting rights; and (ii) any subsidiary or affiliate of such entity in (i). It also includes our legal representatives, administrators, successors-in-interest and permitted assigns.
- Applicable Law means any law that applies to our processing of your Personal Data, whether by virtue of offering Services to you, monitoring your behaviour online (such as by using Cookies), your using of our Services or the provision of your services to us.
- End User or Customer refers to recipient of ride hailing services provided by Captains, also “Riders”.
- Personal Data is any data or information that relates to an individual and which could, of itself or in combination with other data or information, identify who an individual is.
- Process or Processing means the collection, storage, use or transfer of Personal Data.
- Transaction Data means any information that is collected related to your transaction with Careem Rides which can include but is not limited to your name, contact information, payment information and details of the transaction itself.
2. Collection of Information
Depending on the Services you are accessing or using, we collect and use:
A. Information that you provide directly to us;
B. Information about the use of your account and our Services;
C. Information obtained from other sources and third parties, which may include information about you.
A. Information You Provide to Us
Whether you are an End User or a Captain, you are solely responsible for the accuracy of the information you provide on the Careem Platform, and Careem Rides will only modify or update your Personal Data upon your request or when you modify your account details on the Careem Platform.
If you are an End User, we collect Personal Data that you provide directly to us through your access or use of the Services, such as when you:
The Personal Data collected in these processes may include your:
Personal Data of children under 18 years of age
If you book a ride on behalf of a child under the age of 18 Gregorian years then we might indirectly collect information about that child. Each time you are booking a ride on behalf of a child under the age of 18 Gregorian years you represent and warrant to us that:
If you are a Captain we collect Personal Data you provide directly to us through your access or use of the Services and Careem Technologies will provide the Careem Captain App and accompanying support services for your use and access to the Careem Platform, but will do so on behalf of Careem Rides when you provide transportation services to end customers, This includes services such as:
The Personal Data collected in these processes may include your:
Please note that if you choose not to provide us with some of this Personal Data, or request that we erase some or all of it, we may not be able to provide you with our Services at all, or provide it to the same standard we can if we are using that Personal Data.
B. Information We Collect Through use of Our Services
End Users and Captains
When you access or use our Services, either as an End User or Captain, we collect information, some of which will constitute Personal Data. In some cases, we collect this data through cookies, pixels, tags, and similar tracking technologies that create and maintain unique identifiers. Such information may include your:
- mobile network information;
- mobile operating system;
- mobile application crash reports;
- mobile application features and applications used;
- time zone setting;
- device location;
- IP address;
- device information, including the type of mobile device you use, a unique device identifier (for example, your device's IMEI number, the MAC address of the device's wireless network interface, installed applications, or the mobile phone number used by the device);
- SMS data;
- Transaction-related information;
- Information on safety-related incidents;
- registration history information.
If you are an End User we may also collect:
- details of the specific Service you have requested;
- Captain feedback you choose to provide;
- your specific location at the time you are accessing or using our Services;
- the time and date of your booking of the Service, either at that time or at a time in the future;
- your booked or actual destination;
- your trip route; and
- the Personal Data of individuals on whose behalf you access or use our Services, for example, when you book a ride for others.
If you are a Captain we also collect:
- any End User feedback you choose to provide;
- details of any journeys you have made or services you have provided;
- your trip route;
- the time and date of any bookings you accepted, rejected or cancelled.
We also use GPS technology to determine your current location. For Captains, GPS technology may be used when the Careem application is running in the background and foreground, whether the Captain is online or offline. For End Users, GPS technology will only be used when the Careem application is active in the foreground of your phone’s applications or during a Trip.
Some of our location-enabled Services require your Personal Data for the feature to work. By accepting the terms of this Privacy Notice you are agreeing to the use of GPS technology when relevant to the use of our Services. Use of GPS is a setting that you can switch on and off from your phone device settings at any time.
C. Information We Collect From Other Sources
End Users and Captains
We may also receive information, including Personal Data, from other sources and combine that either with Personal Data we receive from you or collect through our Services. For example:
- We may receive information from your employer (or similar entity) if your employer (or similar entity) participates in any of our enterprise/corporate solutions
- If you choose to link, create, or log in to your Careem account with a payment provider or social media service (e.g., Facebook), or if you engage with a separate app or website that uses our API (or whose API we use), we may receive information about you or your connections from that site or app;
- We may get information from our Affiliates on whether you have been blocked from providing services on or blocked from making use of the Affiliates’ services; and
We may obtain Personal Data from third parties who help us verify an individual’s identity and background information for legal, regulatory, anti-money laundering, safety, and security purposes. This can include screening against sanctions lists, lists of politically exposed persons and relatives/close associates of such persons, and adverse media.
If you are an End User we may also:
- collect information about you from your employer, if your employer uses one of our enterprise solutions; and
- receive ratings by Captains after they have provided services to you.
If you are a Captain we may also:
- receive ratings by End Users after you have provided services to them;
- if you also interact with our Services in another capacity, for instance if you are both an End User and a Captain or if you make use services by one or more of our Affiliates, we may combine or associate that information;
- receive information relating to you from a third party company with which we contract, if you are a Captain that is employed by or contracted with a third party company;
- receive information from your insurance, vehicle, or financial services providers;
- obtain any additional information on you, as required, from publicly available sources or governmental authorities.
3. Use of Personal Data
End Users and Captains
We may use Personal Data collected in the manners described above to:
- Provide, maintain, and improve our Services;
- Perform internal administration and operations, including to conduct data analysis, testing, and research; to monitor and analyze usage and activity trends; and to troubleshoot software bugs and operational problems
- Send or facilitate communications (i) between End Users and Captains, such as estimated times of arrival (ETAs), or (ii) at your direction, between you and a contact of yours in connection with your use of certain features, such as referrals or invites;
- Send you communications to you, including administrative or Service-related messages, receipts and other communications we think will be of interest to you, including information about existing and/or new products, services, promotions, news, and events of Careem and other companies, where permissible and according to Applicable Laws;
- Process contest, sweepstake, or other promotion entries and fulfill any related awards;
- Allow you to participate in interactive features of our Services;
- Keep our Services safe and secure, including screening Captains and End Users before enabling their use of our Services and at subsequent intervals, including through reviews of background checks, where permitted by law, to help prevent use of our services by unsafe Captains and/or End Users;
- Prevent, detect, and combat fraud or unsafe activities, including by using device, location, profile, usage, and other data;
- Personalize and improve the Services, including to provide or recommend features, content, social connections, referrals, and advertisements;
- Alter, modify, reorder, augment or otherwise use search results from Google Maps/Earth services to improve location services;
- Locate you if you use the alert button within the Careem Rides mobile application; and
- To ask you about your experience using our Services, including about a particular Captain.
We may use Personal Data collected in the manners described above to:
- In certain regions, using information derived from the Captain's license photos, and other photos submitted to Careem and/or Careem Technologies, for safety and security purposes. This includes a real-time ID feature, which prompts you to share a selfie before going online or while online to help ensure that the individual using the Careem Captain App matches the Captain account that we and Careem Technologies have on file. This also includes comparing photographs that we or Careem technologies have on file against photographs (i) of other users to prevent identity-borrowing, and (ii) from public databases to verify user identity; and
- Offer, obtain, provide, or facilitate insurance, vehicle, invoicing or financing solutions.
4. Sharing of Personal Data
Depending upon the purposes for which we have collected your Personal Data, we may share your Personal Data:
End Users and Captains
We may share your Personal Data:
- With Careem Affiliates;
With third parties that we use to carry out work on our behalf or to perform a contract we enter into with them,
Careem technologies, in relation to:
- the Account Data that is used when registering to the Careem Platform to use the Careem Rides Services and used to provide a smooth experience when navigating between services on the Careem Platform, such as your account identity, payment methods and preferences, and;
- Careem Rides data, that will be used by Careem Technologies as a separate controller across the various services offered on the Careem Platform; (i) improve reliability of the Careem Platform; (ii) improve the customer support experience; (iii) train models; (iv) identify and combat fraudulent and unsafe activities, and; (v) create profiles of users to facilitate a unified experience on the Careem Platform and offer personalised offers and promotions.
- vendors who help us verify identity, background information, or who screen users in connection with sanctions, anti-money laundering, fraud or know-your-customer requirements. In some cases, these service providers may retain identity documents that are suspected to be fraudulent for the purpose of identifying fraud in the future;
- cloud storage providers;
- payment processors and facilitators;
- marketing partners and marketing platform providers, including social media advertising services, advertising networks, third-party data providers, and other service providers that help us understand you better as a user and measure advertising effectiveness;
- research partners, including those performing surveys or research projects in partnership with Careem Rides or on Careem Rides’ behalf;
- vendors that assist Careem Rides to enhance the safety and security of our Services;
- consultants, lawyers, accountants, and other professional service providers;
- airports, including when required by airport authorities as a condition of operating on airport property;
- financial institutions, such as banks we partner with to offer joint products.
- Careem technologies, in relation to:
- With third parties to market their products or services to you if you have agreed to receive promotional updates;
- If we otherwise notify you and you consent to the sharing;
- With third parties in an aggregated and/or anonymized form which cannot reasonably be used to identify you;
- With a claims processor or an insurer to provide any necessary information (including your contact information) if there is a complaint, dispute or conflict, which may include an accident, involving you and another party and such information or data is necessary to resolve the complaint, dispute or conflict; and
- With third parties in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, consolidation or restructuring, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by or into another company.
End Users only
We may share your Personal Data:
- At your request, such as when you agree to share your ETA and location with a friend;
- With Captains, to enable them to provide the Services you request. For example, we share your name and pickup and/or drop-off locations with Captains;
- With third parties with whom you choose to let us share your Personal Data, including other applications or websites that integrate with our API or Services, or those with an API or service with which we integrate;
- With Hala in the manner identified in this Privacy Notice; or
- With your employer (or similar entity) if your employer participates in any of our enterprise/corporate solutions.
- With End Users, to enable them to identify you and your vehicle;
- With your employer or the third-party transportation company your Captain account is associated with; and
- With insurance companies or providers of fleet financing solutions whose product offerings we consider may be of interest to you.
5. Automated decision taking
We use personal data to make automated decisions relating to use of our Services, such as to:
- Determine Captains and End Users ratings, and deactivating where there are low ratings;
- Match available Captains to End Users requesting services based on availability, proximity, and other factors;
- Enable dynamic pricing, in which the price of a ride is determined based on constantly varying factors such as the estimated time and distance, the predicted route, estimated traffic, and the number of Captains and End Users using Careem at a given moment; and
- Flag Captains and/or End Users who are identified as having engaged in fraud, unsafe activity, or other activities that may harm Careem Rides and/or others.
6. International Transfer of Personal Data
Reflecting the regional span of our business, we process personal data globally. This means we may also transfer personal data to countries other than the one where you live or use Careem’s Services. When we transfer your Personal Data abroad, we will take appropriate measures to protect your Personal Data in accordance with this Privacy Notice and the laws of the country from where the transfer is occurring.
Where Applicable Laws require you to consent to the processing of personal data outside the country where you access the Services from Careem Rides, you provide that consent to us by continuing to book the ride to the fullest extent possible under the Applicable Laws.
7. Storage of Personal Data
We will store and retain your Personal Data for the period of time necessary for the purpose for which the data has been collected, unless the nature of the purpose changes in which case the retention period may be extended or shortened.
Apart from the purposes for which we collect your Personal Data, we also store and retain this Personal Data to preserve the integrity of our databases, to carry out on-going Services on your behalf, for research, analytics and statistics purposes and to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
Following an account deletion request (where warranted in accordance with the data subject rights referred to below), we will erase or archive from active use the Personal Data of the individual to which the requirement or request relates, unless we are required to retain it due to legal or regulatory requirements, for purposes of safety, security, and fraud prevention, or because of an issue relating to your account such as an outstanding credit or an unresolved claim or dispute.
8. Your Choices
1. Device permissions
Most mobile device platforms (iOS, Android, etc.) have defined certain types of device data that apps cannot access without the device owner’s permission. Different platforms have different methods for how that permission can be obtained. Please check the available settings on your device or check with your provider.
2. Marketing and Opting Out
In some countries we cannot provide you with any direct marketing communications unless we have obtained your express consent to do so in advance.
In all cases, Careem Rides provides End Users and Captains the opportunity to opt-out of receiving direct marketing communications from us and our partners:
- in any direct email marketing communication that you receive from us; and
- for End Users, from the ‘Settings’ menu in the Careem application.
3. Data Subject Rights
If you would like Careem Rides to correct personal data Careem holds about you, please read here. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information Careem holds about you corrected.
If you decide to deactivate your account, you may reach out to us here. Please note that if you are a Captain, additional steps may be required to give effect to this request.
Depending upon which country you are in at the time that we collect and use your Personal Data to provide you Services, you may have some or all of the following rights under applicable law:
- To request access to your data, including your profile data and trip history (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). If the information you request reveals personal data about a third party, we will: (i) seek that individual's consent before responding to your request, (ii) consider if it is otherwise reasonable to provide it to you; or (iii) we will redact third parties' personal data before responding. If we are unable to provide you with access to your personal data because disclosure would infringe the rights and freedoms of third parties, we will notify you of this decision.
To request erasure of your Personal Data. This enables you to ask Careem Rides to erase Personal Data where:
- your Personal Data is no longer needed for the purposes for which it was collected;
- the sole legal ground for processing was your consent and you have withdrawn it;
- you have objected to processing of your Personal Data on the legal grounds relating to your particular situation, and Careem cannot prove that there are overriding legitimate interests for processing;
- your Personal Data were processed unlawfully; or
- your Personal Data must be erased in order to comply with legal requirements.
Before requesting to delete your account, you understand that you will also be subject to the terms and conditions of Careem Technologies which may include but not be limited to completing/cancelling any active or scheduled bookings, cancel subscriptions and empty your Careem PAY wallet. If you are the end user of an enterprise/corporate account, we may be unable to process your deletion request if there are outstanding payments for that enterprise account.
After we receive your erasure request, you will be logged out of your Careem account. We will process your request within 90 days. If you log in your Careem Account during these 90 days, your deletion account will be cancelled and your account will remain unchanged.
Careem may be required to retain some data in line with legal or regulatory requirements, for purposes of safety, security, and fraud prevention, or because of an issue relating to your account such as an outstanding credit or an unresolved claim or dispute.
- To object to us processing of your Personal Data where Careem Rides is relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground.
To request us to restrict our processing of your Personal Data where:
- you consider that our processing of your Personal Data is inaccurate;
- you consider that the processing is unlawful and you oppose the erasure of your Personal Data and you require the restriction of the processing instead;
- we no longer need the Personal Data for the purposes of the processing but the Personal Data is required by you for the establishment, exercise or defence of a legal claim; or
- where you require verification that processing on the legitimate interests of Careem override your interests.
To revoke your consent, where we have expressly asked for your consent as a legal basis to process your Personal Data. The revocation of your consent will not affect the lawfulness of the processing based on your prior consent.
Depending on your location or the version of the Careem application that you are using, you may exercise these rights through the Settings menu in the Careem Rides app or by contacting Careem Rides here.
You may be contacted for additional information if we are unable to verify your identity, the scope of your request is unclear or does not provide sufficient information for us to conduct a search (for example, this will be the case if you request “all information about me”). Once we have all the information, we need to locate your personal data, we will begin processing your request.
Applicable law may allow or require us to refuse to act on your request, or we may have destroyed, erased, or made your personal data anonymous in accordance with our record retention obligations and practices. If we determine that your request does not have a legal basis, we reserve the right to not further process your request and we will inform you of this decision.
In addition, depending on your location, you may have the right to file a complaint relating to our handling of your Personal Data with the data protection authority in your country.
9. Security Precautions
Your Careem Rides profile is password-protected so that only you, Careem Rides and Careem Technologies, and authorized Careem Affiliates, its employees, or service providers (“Authorised Personnel”) have access to your account information. Careem’s Authorised Personnel will never proactively reach out to you and ask for any personal account information, including your password.
- distinguishing you from other users of on the Careem Platform;
- remembering your preferences and settings
- understanding the online behaviors and interests of people who interact with our Services, including determining the popularity of content and analysing site traffic and trends
- improving the Services we provide
11. Special Notice to Hala users in the United Arab Emirates
Careem Rides has been engaged by Hala to provide certain technology and Processing services to Hala in support of Hala’s business within the UAE. As a result, Careem Rides has engaged Careem Technologies as a sub-processor to Process your Personal Data on Hala’s behalf and to enable you to access or use the products or services provided by Hala.
To the extent that you are using Hala services, then any Personal Data that you provide through the Careem Platform will be Processed by Careem Rides, Careem Technologies and Hala for the purposes of Hala providing its service to you. When using Hala’s services you are also agreeing to this Processing of Personal Data by Careem Rides and Careem Technologies on behalf of Hala for these purposes, and to the transfer of any Personal Data about you that Careem Rides Processes for these purposes to Hala. When this occurs Hala is responsible for determining the purpose and means of that Processing. To the fullest extent permitted under Applicable Laws Careem Rides shall have no liability under or in connection with the processing of Personal Data in connection with Careem Rides’ provision of services to Hala.
You consent that both Careem Rides and Hala may use the Personal Data you provide to Hala for the purposes of either Careem Rides or Hala directly contacting you to market their separate services to you.
12. Guest Users
We consider you a Guest User if you receive trips but are not the owner of an account with Careem Rides, such as when:
- You request a trip via partner websites or apps such as ride-hailing aggregators.
- A trip is arranged by another account owner.
Guest User personal data may be associated with, and accessible by, the owner of the Careem account.
In these cases, your personal data is used and may be shared with third parties: (i) to provide such trips; and (ii) for purposes of safety and security, customer support, research and development, enabling communication between users, and in connection with legal proceedings and requirements.
We consider you as a Supplier if you are an individual (not Captains) that provide services to Careem, either in their own capacity, or on behalf of an organization as a member or employee of that organization.
If you are a Supplier or work for a Supplier, we collect Personal Data when you, or the business you represent, provides, or seeks to provide us with, services; or otherwise communicate with us.
The Personal Data collected during may include:
- your name;
- your email address;
- your phone number;
- your postal address;
- passport or national identification number;
- bank information where payment for Services will be made;
- information on shareholders, principal officers, financial history, references, and ultimate beneficial owners; and
- other information which we reasonably require or that you choose to provide.
We may use Personal Data collected in the manners described above to:
- To contact you with regards to the provision of your services to us; and
- To facilitate payments to you; and
- To consider our potential or current relationship with your business.
If you are a Supplier we will be relying on third parties who help us verify identity and background information for legal, regulatory, anti-money laundering, sanctions and security purposes. This can include screening against sanctions lists, lists of politically exposed persons and relatives/close associates of such persons, and adverse media.
Please note that if you choose not to provide us with some of this Personal Data, or request that we erase some or all of it, we may not be able to engage you or continue to engage you to provide services to us.
We consider you as a Visitor if you visit Careem premises other than as a Careem employee or individual contractor. When visiting Careem premises, you may be asked to input personal information and register as a visitor using a visitor management system. During this registration, you may also be asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement.
This information is used to ensure the safety of individuals within Careem premises and to safeguard information that is shared with you during your visit at Careem premises.
15. Changes to this Privacy Notice
We may change this Privacy Notice from time to time. If we make significant changes in the way we treat your Personal Data, or to the Privacy Notice, we will provide you notice through the Services or by some other means, such as email or a push notification.
To the extent permitted by Applicable Law, your continued use of the Services after such notice constitutes your consent to the changes to the extent permitted by law.
We encourage you to periodically review this Privacy Notice for the latest information on our privacy practices.
16. Contact Us
If you have any questions, comments and requests related to this Privacy Notice, or if you have any questions about how Careem processes your Personal Data, please contact us by completing the Contact Us form.